1/20/11

Patricia Izzo

Website: www.veteranstoday.com/2010/04/24/veterans-they-deserve-no-less/

Male Breast Cancer

Patricia Izzo Biography

Patricia Izzo received her BS in Art Education fromNorthern Michigan University with an honorary assistantship in her Masters of Arts Program. She has received numerous awards regionally and nationally. Twice awarded the prestigious Gold Medal in the annual State of Michigan Photographic Competition and she was honored as a finalist in the Michigan Governors Award for "Arts in the Community". Patricia's fine art photography has been featured in publications, such as American Photo Magazine, Wayne State Alumni Magazine, Home Décor, Woman's Day, Strut Magazine, and The Florida and Southern Review. Patricia’s images can be seen in the 2010 Harold and Kumar III movie. She has had extensive exhibits throughout the Detroit Metropolitan area, the East Coast, and Traverse City Museums. Her first fine art photography book "FRAGILE AWAKENINGS" was published in 2008. Patricia is a member of the Detroit Focus Portfolio, National Woman's Caucus for the Arts, Feminist Arts Project and the Reckless Prophets. She served on the board for the Downriver Council of the Arts, and Scarab Club. She taught painting to at-risk children at The Opportunity Center/Guidance Center. Izzo is the artist in residence at Rivers Edge Gallery in Wyandotte.
Media and Press
"My name is Jim Fontella and I am a breast cancer survivor. There is a long history of breast cancer in my family. My oldest sister is a survivor, too—she had breast cancer about 25 years ago. My youngest sister had a large mass discovered on her left breast a week ago and she is scheduled for a biopsy. This is my history with breast cancer from start to finish. I’m a 62-year-old bricklayer and tile setter. I was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan, but in 1981 I moved to Dallas, where construction was booming, to start my own business. In 1998, I moved back to Michigan to be close to my family and many of my lifelong friends. I had planned to work for someone for a short time until I got settled, and then to start up on my own again. At first, everything went as planned. I found work immediately with a union company, with full benefits. Since I hadn’t had medical benefits during my 18 years in Texas, I decided to have a physical. About a week before the appointment I found a lump under my right armpit, which I brought to the doctor’s attention. He recommended I get a surgeon’s opinion. The surgeon told me that there could be several reasons for the lump and suggested we wait a few weeks to see what it did. It might just disappear on its own. But about a week later I found another lump, this one behind my right nipple. The surgeon saw me the same day and immediately scheduled a biopsy of the lump on my breast. He told me that it would take several days for the results to come back and that he would call me when they did. He called me himself a couple days later to tell me I had breast cancer."


No comments:

Post a Comment