1/20/11

Stephanie Nielson

Website: www.nieniedialogues.blogspot.com/

Plane Crash Survivor

Family Portrait, Provo, Utah

"Returning from a near-fatal airplane crash, burned 80% of my body, and will have surgeries for the rest of my life. Probably. But I am alive."


Untitled; Husband and Wife 2008

Stephanie Nielson Biography

On August 16, 2008, a small plane carrying a young married couple and their flight instructor crashed in the Arizona desert. Doug Kinneard, the instructor, was killed in the crash; Stephanie and Christian Nielson survived, both severely burned. Prior to the crash, Stephanie's weblog, the NieNie Dialogues, "had attracted a small but ardent following, thanks to its upbeat dispatches about marriage, home décor, entertaining and the art of raising four children ages 6 and younger."

After the crash, with burns on over 80% of her body, she spent two months in a medically induced coma. One month later, she was released from the hospital and one month after that, she began blogging again. Stephanie's posts since then have chronicled her gradual recovery, her re-integration into her family, her love and gratitude for her husband, and, finally, on the one-year anniversary of the plane crash, herself.

In her own words:

“Its true.
I am alive.
I look different.
I walk slow...and type slower.
But its good to be back!!
How can I thank you all?! I don't think I can...letters, e-mails, stories, toys for the kids, clothes artwork, dolls, love, donations and all your prayers!!
I will thank you all soon enough, but for now, (excuse me, i need to take my 6000th pill for the day) for now, here are my hands. They are tightly wrapped in what we burn patients call "Juzos" and they hurt.
Boy do I have some good stories for you....(raised toilets, special lookin' underwear, commodes galore and stuff like that.
At the end of the day Mr. Nielson in his blue juzozs takes me by the hand for bed...like I said, not so different than before the crash(which we endearingly call "BC" and after the crash as "AC"."

No comments:

Post a Comment